Tuesday, April 24, 2012

warm days and warm food


Lately, the weather has been very sporadic--rainy and cold one day, and sunny and hot the next. Thankfully, over the weekend it was sunny and hot and so Dusty and I decided to grill on Saturday. At first I wanted to do something super complicated but then I realized that we were a bit crunched on time so I decided to jazz up something easy (and healthy)---turkey burgers. Below you will find my recipe, all of the ingredients were purchased at Trader Joe's so if you have the choice, I'd buy ingredients there. I apologize for not taking a picture, but I was too hungry to stop and take one before I'd eaten! (Photo credit: Me!) Also, sorry this blog has been nothing but food lately, I've just been cooking up a storm!

Simply Jazzed-Up Turkey Burgers or Turkey Burgers with Chevre and Mango Chutney
Serves 4

Ingredients
4 turkey burger patties (I bought mine pre-made at TJs)
4 small pain rustique rolls
mixed greens
herb flavored chevre (soft goat cheese)
mango chutney
olive or other vegetable oil
salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush the turkey patties with olive or vegetable oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill the patties until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. 

2. Cut the rolls in half and lightly brush with olive oil,  place the rolls cut side down on the grill until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. 

3. Assemble the burgers--give a generous spread of chevre on each side of the rolls, then on the bottom side of the rolls press down a generous handful of mixed greens, place the turkey patties on top, and top the patties with a generous dollop of mango chutney. Enjoy!

I served my burgers with baked sweet potato fries (also available at Trader Joe's) and a curried yogurt dipping sauce. Below you'll find my recipe for the dipping sauce (which would taste good on just about anything).

Curried Yogurt Dipping Sauce
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup or more yellow curry powder
1 tbs honey
1 tsp brown sugar

Instructions


1. Place the yogurt in a small mixing bowl, mix in curry to taste (some people like more or less, and different curry powders are stronger or weaker in taste). Mix in the honey and brown sugar, taste and adjust seasoning. Enjoy!

No comments: