Saturday, May 5, 2012

greens


Hello, I thought that I would share my favorite recipe for vinaigrette with greens. I think that this is one of the most useful recipes to have in one's arsenal. Homemade dressing immediately elevates any dish, and greens are versatile enough to be served with nearly any meal. Some of my favorite (but certainly not original) ideas for greens include: with eggs for breakfast, atop crusty bread with goat cheese, or next to a hearty seasonal minestrone. This recipe is very flexible and I suggest playing around with it, please let me know if you have suggestions or ideas.

Simple Vinaigrette


Ingredients:
1 teaspoons whole grain dijon mustard
1-2 small garlic cloves, minced or pressed
3 tablespoons vinegar (I generally use balsamic, but any other kind will do)
Optional: 1-2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup olive oil (other vegetable oils work too, or flavored olive oils)
Greens mix
Optional: any chopped fresh herbs (dill, cilantro, parsley, or any combination work great)

Directions:


1. In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, juice (if using), salt, and pepper.

2. Continue whisking and slowly drizzle the olive oil in to the mixture is emulsified.

3. Toss or drizzle over mixed greens. Enjoy!

Another great tip, which I learned from watching The Barefoot Contessa is that if you want to make the dressing and salad ahead but don't want the greens to get saturated and wilted you can pour the necessary amount of dressing into the bottom of your salad bowl and then gently place your greens on top of it, without mixing. Then you can put the bowl in the refrigerator and toss together just before serving. (Image from Smitten Kitchen, my favorite food blog)


No comments: