Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Off Color Rant

A Matisse Sketch

This is definitely off topic of what I would normally write about on my blog (I try to stay away from anything political/offensive in any way). That said--I never realized how many well known and renowned writers have been featured in Playboy. I decided to research the subject after I found out that the author of the book I'm currently reading had been featured there... and I think I have a new found respect for the magazine, especially old school (as opposed to "The Girl's Next Door") Playboy. Fahrenheit 451 was serialized in Playboy before being published as a novel--WHAAA'??? You're probably more learned than me and already knew that but WOW! What do you think? Is it simply chauvinistic idolatry of a narrow minded interpretation of attractive women or a smart and symbollic middle finger to the censorship gods? Both?

3 comments:

SaraHaase said...

I've looked through one Playboy in my life - and you know how people say, "Nuuuurrrr I get Playboy for the articles!" WELL, there were SO MANY freaking articles. And they all appeared pretty legit. [Regarding Fahrenheit 451 - wasn't Fear and Loathing published piece by piece in Rolling Stone? SO COOL]

Unknown said...

I have read through one playboy as well when I was at a friend's dorm and that was pretty much their only reading material. It's shocking how poignant their articles tend to be! Plus, the photos of the women are the most tastefully done as I have ever seen them in any other form of nudey mag.

Christa Victoria Chandler-Schultz said...

@Sara: I don't know about Fear and Loathing, but that's freaking badass if it's true.
@Farnosh: I agree that their nudity is not gross, especially old school Playboy models, they're very bond-girl. Before all of them started having fake titties.