Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Friendship



This morning at work as I watched all the kids play I thught about my childhood friends. One of my favorite quotes of all time is from the movie Stand by Me, "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?" This has been so true in my life. Childhood friendships are usually based off of mutal interest-- be it soccer, tetherball, or Barbies; and are mutally beneficial-- no one likes to play alone and everyone likes to play with someone nice. One of the hardest things in life for me has been being able to take a stand with people and END toxic friendships/relationships. Obviously this isn't always an option (case in point-family members) but I do think that if everyone made the effort to have friendships modeled after those in their more youthful years we'd all be happier. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To tell the truth, most of my childhood friends I've lost from either moving around a lot or they weren't really friends to begin with. Pretty much every friend that I've had pre-16 years old I've lost touch with except my old best friend, Mandi, who i've known since I was 2 1/2 in preschool.

I know what you're thinking...what about my friends now that I knew in elementary school, like Sara Haase? Well, Sara and I didn't really become actual good friends until sophomore year in high school when we discovered a mutual obsession for the band, The Dresden Dolls. Other than her, I've lost touch with most if not all friends pre-16 years old. How upsetting, now that i think about it.